[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Section 8 Clan Forums • View topic - Thinking of purchasing a new computer any suggestions?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » General Gaming Topics

Post Posted: August 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

For the last approximately three weeks my computer has been acting up. I currently have a Dell XPS 8300 that was purchased back in 2012 loaded with Windows 7 operating system.
My graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 560 I believe. I go through periods of blue screening and then I go through to SAFE MODE and purge my computer of any potential conflicts/viruses using Kaspersky. Then I go to a restore point where both the computer functions as well as the modem/Internet. This seems to do the trick after I restart the computer in normal mode after many attempts. Last week we had to replace the modem from XFINITY because neither my wife’s computer or mine were showing any connectivity.

In any case any time I try to load my game it keeps on saying that I do not have the correct figuration for the game stating that I don’t have the current version for the graphics card of DirectX. I have been online with computer gurus that probably knew less than I did trying to download the latest version of Nvidia drivers. Each and every time that this happens I have to restart my computer and then it goes back to blue screening. I have gone to the Nvidia website and downloaded their drivers manually without having somebody interfering and getting into my computer remotely. But still the same scenario happens.
Many of you have probably experienced the same situation and frustration.
My questions are below?

1. What would be a suitable tower computer to replace the one that I currently have.
2. I do have my hard drive backed up on external hard drive from Seagate.
3. I would like to stay with a Windows 7 operating system but I don’t know if that would be available.
4. What suggestions would you people have if you were to have a store-bought computer that would have a decent graphics card and would function well with gaming. I do have the original disk to my game so that would not be an issue.
5. Being retired fortunately for me money would not a restriction as to what to purchase.
6. Is there a remote chance that all I need would be something as simple as a new graphics card?
7. Has anybody dealt with GEEK squad from Best Buy where they come out to your house to try to diagnose the situation?

Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :-)

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 6:51 am 
Clan Member
Clan Member

I have never experienced the issue you describe, so I can't help you there. But in regard to a new computer, since you like to play video games, spending a good deal of money (2000 dollars or so) is worth it - upgrade all the significant hardware.
Of course, if you only play CoD4, you don't need a supercomputer, so if that's the case, you can get a cheaper one, but for any newer games, you'll definitely want upgrades - my computer, for instance, can't run BattleField 1, because the hardware is outdated (my computer is also 5-6 years old).

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 7:43 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Thanks Munckey. I appreciate your response.
Hopefully I'll get some more insight as the week continues.

As you can see, my computer did not blue screen overnight which is a good thing. :-)

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 9:02 am 
Selector Admin
Selector Admin

Wow, buddy. I was wondering where you had gone to. Sorry. I recently got tired of my old comp and its shenanigans. Got my new one at Best Buy. It's a mid level CyberPower PC (it's a gamer)...on sale for way under a grand. Not the best, but the upgrade in graphics card has been a great boost for my ability to change my game play. Amazing how much quicker you can get a shot off when your graphics are improved. It's also been a great improvement for productivity, since I teach online college classes. You don't have to dump your life savings into a new ultra-whizzbang gaming computer. Good luck.

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 9:12 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Thanks for your input FBO is much appreciated. :-)

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 9:51 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Blue screen can happen for many different reasons. A lot of the time, there is either a deteriorating virus on the system, the operating system has a bug, or there is a machine/hard drive issue.

I'd say your best shot, as you suggested, would be getting a full new system.

If you're looking to buy new, you're most likely not going to get a Win7 OS. My recommendation would be look through Craigslist or any local Classifieds in your area. Many times you can find a fantastic build with whatever you're looking for.

Specs I would say you should look for, if you're willing to pay a bit more, would be:
Hard Drive: 1+ TB HDD
RAM: 8-16 gig RAM
CPU: Intel i5 2500 or i7 6700K, or Radeon equivalent. (you can use to compare and contrast cpus)
Graphics Card: Nvidia/EVGA GTX680 or higher, or the Radeon equivalent (you can use to compare these)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (or, if you're willing, Windows 10 Pro, just NOT Windows 8.1)

I definitely hope this helps. I don't know how big your hard drive is, but just to be safe, I'd say get a new hard drive and copy all your info from your backups to the new one, not from your old system.

Post Posted: August 9th, 2017, 12:18 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Thanks NobodyCan.
I have been going online looking at YouTube videos to see what the opinion is on gaming computers and the name ACER keeps on coming up. My first gaming computer way back in the early 90s was a Dell and three computers later I still have a Dell. I guess the name of the computer isn't as important as the components that are put together. Unfortunately I'm not the most computer savvy so I will continue trying to figure out what would be a good replacement. Fortunately, my computer that I'm using now has not blue screened for several days but it still is not able to function with COD4 because of DirectX. :-(

Thanks again to those people who have been trying to help me.

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 9th, 2017, 1:05 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

If you're looking for a premade computer I definitely recommend an ACER, they're pretty great

Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 1:02 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

I have been spending some time going through some research and YouTube videos about new computers.

Although I know it's possible for those with the computer savvy to build a custom computer (I don't have the time or the energy and know how to do it correctly).

I had a good online chat with a Dell representative talking about my concerns for a good computer that would have Wi-Fi as well as a slot for a DVD/ CD player burner. I asked him if a liquid cooled or air cooled computer would be best and with no reservations he said depended on your gaming a liquid cooled would be better.

This is what he came up with:

Alienware Aurora

with an i5 processor
Alienware™ 460 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Tray Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner

I thought the newest and most recent processor was the i7. I'm not looking for the best I'm just looking for a replacement.

Any thoughts that anybody has about this configuration?
Any advice would be appreciated. :-)

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 3:03 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

If you're not planning on updating or switching out any pieces through this system, the one you listed is a pretty great one. I can recommend it

Board index » General Topics » General Gaming Topics