[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Section 8 Clan Forums • View topic - Thinking of purchasing a new computer any suggestions?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » General Gaming Topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 5:53 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Alienware is great but I suggest shopping around and comparing prices to other brands. I'm not saying you will find better but with Alienware being a little on the pricey (most days), you may.

How much does that build come out to on their site?

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 6:03 am 
Clan Member
Clan Member

I found the Alienware with those specs at around 1500 dollars. So it's not too bad I guess, although I personally don't have that kind of money :p

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 7:05 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

The guy I was online chatting with said this:

with an i5 processor
Alienware™ 460 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Tray Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner

$1,567.99

I am sure that the price would be more particularly coming from a third party distributor like Best Buy, with tax, loaded software, anti-virus, set up, extended warranty, and anything else they can squeeze in.

The beauty of the Dell Alienware Aurora is that it's small, the innards are easily accessible without tools with the swing open configuration. Like NobodyCan said the component slots inside are easily upgradeable in the future if warranted.

Again, thanks Ruddy, Munckey, FBO, and NobodyCan. Your input is much appreciated. :-)

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 11:07 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

This is only an example but this ACER computer comes close with the same specs but saving $400+ dollars. I am sure if you look outside of Dell/Alienware, you will find a computer more worth your buck.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/5579696

Another example

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IMOND ... 3896597011

Cyberpower is the type of PC I have and I love it.

If I had time I would look for the exacts. This is more that you can find what you are looking for, for cheaper.

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 12:59 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Interesting that both of your suggestions Ruddy have the i7 Intel processor and the one that I'm looking at has the Intel i5.

I had originally been looking at ACER the model suggested by Ruddy.

I continue to go through websites and try to get a handle on everything that I would like

thanks again,

[s*8].RAT

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 3:27 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

I'd say take a look at or . Both are very good options and you can see the exact specs of each system. Definitely worth looking into, and good luck on your hunt!

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 9:32 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Amazon has decent deals as well.

Dell/Alienware is very money grubby. Your basically paying extra for the brand, in my opinion.

Post Posted: August 12th, 2017, 3:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The last few systems I've bought were refurbished HP's from Fry's. Never spent more than about $300, plus another $175 for PSU/GPU for the last one.

Agreed about Windows 7 being a scarcity. You'd probably have to go into a big box store and ask about getting a system that can have the O/S downgraded to Win7. Curious, what are your concerns about Windows 10?

If I were going to look around online today, here are a couple of fairly tight searches from and . Some of those require an external DVD/CD-ROM.

Post Posted: August 12th, 2017, 12:57 pm 
Selector Admin
Selector Admin

Windows 10 is not bad at all in my opinion. You'd get used to it very quickly.

In terms of PCs there's so much choice that I am the absolute worse person to have any input, so I'll just keep my yapper trappered.

Yours faithfully,

Bojangles

Post Posted: August 12th, 2017, 3:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Courtesy of

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Topics » General Gaming Topics