[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Section 8 Clan Forums • View topic - Nilrem's Movie Corner
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Off Topic

Post Posted: May 13th, 2019, 2:51 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

As the credits roll I write my review of the latest film I saw, as well as the two others I've seen this past week but haven't yet written about:

Just saw Detective Pikachu. Really good movie. The CGI and visual effects are top notch and actually look more real than those seen in Underwater Thor. The plot is well thought out. I liked the incorporation of the original show’s theme song as an overture to the news broadcast. The one question that remains unanswered at the end is why the kid is able to understand Pikachu while no one else can. The explanation works for why the kid can understand him, but does not explain why everyone else just hears the usual “pika pika” that we’ve all heard for the last twenty years or so. And the final battle scene must have been written while the writers had 1989’s Batman playing. Very entertaining movie. Not counting previews, the actual run time is 1 hour 45 minutes.

Definitely worth seeing in theaters. No post credit bonus scenes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you’re looking for a movie to see this weekend, go see Tolkien. It’s a good film, typical of the bio-pics that have been coming out lately. Colm Meaney was an unexpected appearance, he gives a good performance as a Catholic Priest. The inspirations for The Lord of the Rings and Hobits are interwoven throughout the film and are wonderfully integrated into the war scenes. As usual with a biographical movie don’t expect a lot of plot. It’s more geared towards the life events.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avenger's End Game.

Re-watching Infinity War before going to see it to get into the mood is a good idea. The three hour run time goes by like it's nothing. Go see it in theaters. I will not say anything more about this film in order to prevent any possibility of spoilers.

Need Version COD 4 v1.8? Click

Post Posted: June 13th, 2019, 3:10 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

If you’re a fan of Elton John go see Rocketman. It’s a pretty good film about his addictions. Although it focuses more on how he fell into them rather than overcoming them, the movie is a brilliant exploration of the void that is sin and the struggle to find fulfillment from what ultimately amounts to nothing. Unlike Bohemian Rhapsody and its telling of Freddy Mercury’s life, this movie is a musical with a lot of song and dance routines. Of all the songs he’s written and performed the makers of this movie made impeccable choices on which ones to include in this film. A fantastic movie, worth seeing in theaters.

Post Posted: August 7th, 2019, 3:15 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Been a while since I've posted here. Saw a few movies since the last one. The most recent one was Yesterday. I don't even remember what the others were. The only reason I remember seeing Yesterday is that I saw it yesterday. Ok, not really. It's been a few days but the line was too good to pass up so I said it. And this film falls flat on its face. Not worth seeing in theaters at all. And I wouldn't even recommend getting it on Netflix or any rental service either. Unlike the Bohemian Rhapsody movie and Rocketman, this film is not a bio-pic. It does not tell the story of the authors of the songs heard in the film. You learn nothing about them except that they no longer exist in the film's universe. No explanation is ever given, they're just gone. Vanished overnight. The obvious ending for this film is that the guy would wake up from his coma (he was hit by a bus in a power outage) and everything would be back to normal. A less obvious but still plausible ending is that he died and was dreaming during his last few seconds. Either way, "it's all in his head" would have been the way to go. They could have played the Star Trek card of being knocked into a parallel universe gag.

But did the writers do any of that? NO! The movie ends (spoilers, but I just told you not to see this film so.... to hell with it) with no explanation whatsoever. The Beatles literally never got together for no reason whatsoever. And then without any other explanation the writers tease that it might be a dream or alternate reality and even have two random people that remember the Beatles. None of these things play out at all, just crap to pad out the movie so it met the requirements for feature length film status.

What this film boils down to is a feature length YouTube video. Go on YouTube right now and you can find covers for ANY song ever written. They all give some sort of stupid, or sometimes legitimate, legal disclaimers and copyright notices. But they're 2-3 minutes of nothing more than people butchering songs they claim to love. I wouldn't treat something I love that badly, but these people do and then put the video evidence of it up on the internet for everyone to see. What this film did was take that concept, haphazardly cobble together a "plot" that says the original authors never existed and then proceeds to have one guy cover songs written by and for quartets. They did this to skip the copyright requirements and sell this film in theaters rather than having it free on YouTube.

His rendition for "Help Me" brought tears to my eyes. You know, the way smashing your thumb with a hammer would. And you sit through the film waiting for the big pay out explanation of why The Beatles never got together, why Coca-Cola and Cigarrettes were never invented and why a few other things didn't happen. You're wondering what those things had in common, what one event in history would cause those things to not come into being had it not happened. And then the film ends. No reason why. Apparently getting hit by a bus in a power outage really does cause the disappearance of half a dozen world famous people, products and inventions.

I think I can best illustrate how this movie ended by doing this and

Post subject: Nilrems Movie Corner
 Post Posted: August 29th, 2019, 3:24 pm 

I always felt the Romulans were the least underused villiains in the Star Trek shows. I would welcome to see their bad ass selves in a movie. Not in the way they were portrayed in that travesty of a Star Trek movie Nemesis. Or as I like to call it Crap-esis. Just my humble opinion though.

Post Posted: October 18th, 2019, 3:29 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Joker.

Not for the squeamish yet also not as bad as some in the media have tried to proclaim it is. It definitely doesn't live up to all the hype where theaters have banned masks and props from screenings of this film (but not others...for logic I guess??) but it definitely lives up to all the reviews and praise from critics. Joaquin Phoenix gives an amazing performance and you will not be disappointed in this film. Unless you're looking for Batman. There is no Batman in this film. The only downside to this movie is that it, like all movies, is full of spoilers. So, if you don't want to know what happens don't go see it.

Board index » General Topics » Off Topic